Consumer Site Makes Tracking Defective, Harmful Products Easier

According to an article in The Los Angeles Times, a new website is going to make it easier for parents to track harmful, defective products for children and potentially dangerous foods that are recalled.

The new website is, which is associated with Consumer Reports but is compiled by the National School Safety Coalition, the National Parent Teacher Association, and the National School Boards Association. The idea is to make it a one-stop place for parents to easily receive information about defective product recalls and harmful products. The newly formed coalition will also sent out alerts on recalls concerning children’s toys, medicines, furniture, and food.

Recently, there have been almost weekly notices about toy recalls, from lead in children’s jewelry and in paint on toys, to cadmium used by foreign manufacturers in the place of lead. The website will compile the recalls from the three different regulators that oversee consumer products – the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), which oversees products; the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that oversees food and medications; and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) that recalls unsafe meat.

The CPSC also plans to launch, a new website in March, which will be a database that will compile dangerous product reports from consumers that can be read by other consumers.

Consumer Reports asked Americans what they know about product recalls and more than half said they do not fill out the registration cards contained in products they purchase. That is the way the manufacturer knows who to contact in case of a recall, which makes this website all the more important for consumers to be aware of.

The Jacksonville product liability attorneys at Farah & Farah will always be there if you want to discuss a product that injured your child or any family member. There may be compensation available from the responsible party to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, the cost of rehabilitation, and other expenses. Call us to review your case.