Articles Posted in Child Support

The only certainty in life is life’s uncertainties. You may find yourself out of a job or find yourself in a situation where you are unable to meet your current child support obligations. You certainly don’t want to be a “deadbeat” when it comes to supporting your children, but you may find yourself financially unable to pay what you owe.

You want to obey the law and be a responsible parent. What can you do?

Although child support in Florida cannot be completely terminated due to financial crisis, you do have the option to seek a modification of your child support order to seek a lower monthly payment. The court can change a child support order if the judge feels that your circumstances have changed substantially and that the change in child support will be in the best interest of your child or children.

To do this, you must file a Supplemental Petition to Modify Child Support. This form must be filed with the clerk of the circuit court where your child support order originated. If the judge that dealt with your original order is still at the court, he or she will deal with your case.
Continue reading